This Page

has been moved to new address

Goodbye New York!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Art Ravels: Goodbye New York!

Art Ravels

Arts and Culture Unwound

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Goodbye New York!

This time tomorrow I will be on a plane to St. Maarten. I have to say, the dismally cold and wet weather makes the parting all the sweeter. When I spoke to the real estate agent about it, she complained about the winter weather down there. You know, 85 degrees. She helped my boyfriend and I find an apartment with a view of the ocean.

At this point, I've been living out of a backpack for over a week, staying with various people, and making some very long commutes. I'm ready to leave! Blogging will resume at a normal schedule once I settle in. I have a backlog of things I want to write about, and just haven't had a chance to focus on (or an Internet connection, depending on where I am staying).


One of the things I've been thinking about is the best way to spend all this newfound free time. I want to finish the novel. I want to do some freelance travel writing. But there are so many other things I hope to do--learn how to speak French and play chess. Build a website (I've wanted to make a new home for this blog for a long time). Read Proust and all of Dickens. Try to revive my dying Italian. Scuba dive. Online classes. So many things. If you can think of a good project, send it my way.
But for now, I'm off.


L
Hello St. Maarten!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

Good luck!

December 9, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonne chance & tanti auguri!
(you lucky ducky!)

December 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger ArtChick1 said...

I will miss you so much...please write to me by email. What part of the island will you be inhabiting. A view of the water OMG...so lucky!

December 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger ArtChick1 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 9, 2009 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger William Evertson said...

You left out working on tan, lazing in hammock and collecting umbrellas from your drinks. :-)

December 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger e said...

Perhaps you and I should talk when regular blogging resumes...we're on the same wavelength! Enjoy your tan!

December 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger MikeT said...

Bon voyage!

If you decide to tackle Dickens, I'd suggest trying the stuff that has rarely been filmed and is least read: OUR MUTUAL FRIEND, DOMBEY AND SON, MARTIN CHUZZLEWIT. These books might vary in quality compared with his more famous stuff, but sometimes a writer's misses are as fascinating as his hits.

If you'd like a Victorian besides Dickens, look to Anthony Trollope. I'm particularly keen on THE WAY WE LIVE NOW.

I envy you. I can't wait to see the writing this sojourn will produce!

December 11, 2009 at 1:55 AM  
Blogger Steerforth said...

I think quite a few of us are feeling a tiny bit envious - you're living the dream.

Enjoy the reading and writing. I'll think of you when I'm stuck in a traffic jam in the rain ;)

December 13, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home