This Page

has been moved to new address

Matthew Cox's Embroidered X-rays

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Art Ravels: Matthew Cox's Embroidered X-rays

Art Ravels

Arts and Culture Unwound

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Matthew Cox's Embroidered X-rays


Of all the uses of thread I saw at the art fairs, and they were myriad and multitudinousness, even more so than last year, Matthew Cox's embroidery on x-ray at Pentimenti Gallery's booth at Pulse struck me as novel and apt.


The Botticelli-esque embroidery fleshes out the lines suggested by the x-rays. The contrast between the x-ray and the embroidery works well, although I wish the pieces could have been backlit to show off the x-rays better.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous mjd said...

Hello Tulip! Matthew Cox's embroidery is dazzling and reminds me of cake icing (yum). Very tactile. I didn't see this booth at the The Armory Show this year... or did you go down to Philly to the gallery? I thought The Armory Show was so wicked - mostly blue-chip contemporary and modern art galleries. Not much cutting edge or fringe. What was masquerading as innovative was too artistically perverse to be interesting.

March 8, 2011 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Yes, it was very tactile. His work was up at Pulse Art Fair, not the Armory, and maybe its telling that he showed there. :)

Armory was definitely wicked.

March 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Linnea, I found your blog about this time last year & remember enjoying your commentary on the art fairs then. Again, I am happy to be taken along & shown your favorite picks. Thanks for sharing your insight.

March 8, 2011 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

these are FAB! but I agree, it would have been neat for them to be backlit on the x ray parts (can't on the stitched part).

March 9, 2011 at 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home