This Page

has been moved to new address

Coney Island

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Art Ravels: Coney Island

Art Ravels

Arts and Culture Unwound

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Coney Island

The Steeplechase, Coney Island (1929), Milton Avery

Luna Park Sign (1928), Walker Evans

Fourth of July, Coney Island (1958), Robert Frank

There might not be a steeplechase any more, but Coney Island remains essentially the same over the decades.  I loved finding these old photographs by Walker Evans and Robert Frank just for that reason. Especially at night, walking along the 100 year old boardwalk, one feels that people have been doing this here for ages.




Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger LeaKarts said...

I LOVE the Luna Park Sign! I've only been to Coney Island once, but it does have that warm sense of history to it. Thanks for sharing the great historical pictures.

July 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see it. I'm glad something is preserved to the way it originally was; that doesn't happen much anymore.

July 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM  
Blogger Art said...

Glad you like it.

Yes, it is preserved although they recently unveiled the new "boardwalk" in some areas that had been rotting. Unfortunately, the recycled material they used just doesn't replicated the look and feel of the old wood.

July 22, 2011 at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home